The Pomegranate Book is finally done!
I've had a Doozy of a week; struggling with a printer that is in a pout because I bought a new computer...and My Computer Guru is on vacation. Hours of time have been spent on the internet in chat rooms, on the phone with HP and various cable adapter companies. This is an issue All Of You are going to have to deal with when you get a new, souped up computer that is Windows 7 and 64 bit. And only USB ports to hook equipment into. I'll post later about the solutions I've found, but right now, I can't stand to think about it anymore. I could have taken the money I've spent this week on Not Solutions out to the driveway and just set it on fire...would've been easier.
To regain my balance, I just Need To Make Something!
Thankfully, I printed off the Front and Back covers of the Pomegranate Book on my new Ricoh printer before I left Atlanta, so I was ready to jump right to it. This is The Cinch - the bookbinding tool that I ordered back in May at the Surtex Surface Design Show.
This little guy is a real workhorse...punches right through chipboard and leather, and when you turn him around, he has a presser foot on the back to close up your metal binding rings. There IS a learning curve, and it's best to watch the video on their website before you start punching away.
I'm using chipboard from our NY Betsy Bag stock - a handbag that we made several years ago, which used this chipboard in the bottoms. That's why it has holes drilled in the four corners.
It is so important to remember that your pages for the inside must be smaller than the covers...and that when you punch your holes, that they line up with the holes you punched for the covers.
Once you get the hang of punching your holes in the exact right place, everything else just falls into place, and you are off and running. I like to punch all my holes first, since I'm using my own, custom sized stock. The last thing I need is to painstakingly glue up my covers and discover that the holes don't line up!
Here is my printed cover - I've already test-positioned my chipboard on the back side and held it up to the light to make sure I'm all lined up. I made a crease to show me where the edge of the board is...
I need to trim it so that I have about 1" selvage on all four sides. This is all made So Easy, using the magnetic ruler and mat that We R Memory Keepers offers:
|You can buy the mat either at a craft supply store, or direct from We R Memory Keepers.|
Then, just use your favorite Craft Glue to glue the paper stock to your cover boards. You can punch right through the glued-on cover - just be sure to position it the exact same way you originally did so you don't wind up with a new set of holes - that are now no longer lined up with the back board, like I did on my first try!
I like to make traditional corners and cover the edges of the board, so that the books look truly hand bound:
When you open the book, you get a pleasingly finished look...makes you want to keep opening and closing, just so your eyes can be happy.
Here is the Back of the Pomegranate Book. Now I feel all better. Think I'll go make some more!