Thursday, October 20, 2011

Coastal Cottage Crab Bisque Recipe - Yumm!

Okay, folks.  Usually we are all about "Catch and Eat", but this time, I couldn't help myself.  Lowes Foods had a Great Sale on pasteurized Crab Meat, and I loaded up!  With a cold front moving in, my sinful Coastal Cottage Crab Bisque and a Boule of Olive Rosemary bread, hot out of the oven, was a lock.




I knew I had to make it Chunky and Rewarding enough to get away with serving this as the entree to a Husband who is all about a full plate at Dinner.


In a flash, standing right there in the grocery store, I visualized sweet corn, sweet onions, half and half, and, well, I was off and zooming up and down the aisles...


Doesn't this make your mouth water and your brain churn, thinking of Crab Bisque, Crab Cakes, Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, Crab Omelet...etc., etc.?

So, first, I rough chopped a Sweet Vidalia Onion - I only use Vidalia Onions in seafood, because their sweetness melds right in without overwhelming the fish, crab, or shellfish in the dish...


and caramelized the onions in a heavy pot with Salted Butter and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Always keep the heat Really Low when caramelizing...you don't want the onions to scorch before the sugar comes out.


Then, I added lots of fresh corn cut off the cob, with the milk that I scraped out of the cob,  and then the Crab Meat.  I didn't want the corn to be overcooked and loose its sweetness. 



The Bisque had to be rich, so I added about two cups of Half and Half, along with about a cup of 2% milk.  Right behind that,  the seasonings:
  


The above seasonings are pretty basic in my pantry, but of course, you can mix and match to your own taste.  I think a dash of nutmeg is always necessary in a bisque!

I didn't add salt because the Old Bay, Worcestershire Sauce, and Tabasco already have salt in them.  I also added a squirt of Ketchup, right at the end.  At this point, don't let it boil, keep your heat medium low so the milk doesn't separate.

Now, here's the most important ingredient, besides the Crab:


Don't be shy with the sherry...it cuts the richness and brings it all back together under a different blanket.   Get your bread out of the oven when the crust is crisp and flaky, and you are good to go!  Sublime.


Picked up this Olive and Rosemary Bread Boule in the Bakery, and popped it in the oven at 400 f.  for about 7 minutes.  Perfect for sopping up the last bit in the bowl!



And Husband LOVED it!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...